Pennsylvania, PA
Frequently Asked Questions About Health and Human Services
Health Care Coverage
What Health and Human Services should I apply for?
You should apply for every benefit that you think you may need.
When your application arrives the County Assistance Office will look at your income and tell you what Health and Human Services you can receive.
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace, established under the health care law (Affordable Care Act), allows individuals and families to apply for federal benefits and/or explore private health care options.
What are Family Planning Services?
Family Planning services are covered under MA and CHIP and any other insurance that meets the minimum essential coverage required under the Affordable Care Act. The Family Planning Services only program does NOT meet the requirements of minimum essential coverage.
What might health care coverage include?
  • Checkups
  • Immunizations
  • Sick visits and prescription drugs
  • Vision testing and eyeglasses
  • Emergency room care
  • Lab tests and X-rays
  • Hearing testing and hearing aids
  • Mental health and substance abuse treatment
In which health care coverage program can my children enroll?
Whether your children enroll in Medical Assistance or in the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) depends mostly on your income and the ages of your children.
  • If you apply first to Medical Assistance, but are not eligible, the application will be sent to the CHIP program to see if you are eligible.
  • If you apply for CHIP, but are not eligible, the application will be sent to the County Assistance Office to see if you are eligible for Medical Assistance.
  • In either case, you will get a letter telling you what has happened to the application and what to expect.
How will I know if members of my family, including myself, are eligible?
You should receive a letter from the program your application was sent to within 30 days. This letter will tell you who is eligible for the program and who is not. If someone is not eligible for the program, the letter will tell you why. It will also tell you what you can do next.
What if someone in my family has a disability or a special care need?
You cannot be turned down because you have a disability or a special need. If you or your child has a disability or a special health care need, a higher income limit may be used to see if you are eligible for Medical Assistance. You may also be able to receive additional benefits.
What if someone in my family is a temporary alien or an undocumented alien?
A temporary alien or an undocumented alien may only receive Medical Assistance to cover an emergency medical condition. An emergency medical condition is a medical condition with acute symptoms of such severity, including severe pain, that without medical attention, may result in:
  • the patient's health being placed in serious jeopardy;
  • serious impairment to bodily functions; or
  • serious dysfunction of any body organ or part.
An emergency medical condition may include labor and delivery services for a pregnant woman.
An emergency medical condition does not include care and services related to organ transplant procedures.