Frequently Asked Questions About Health and Human Services

What Health and Human Services should I apply for?

What is LIHWAP?

LIHWAP is a federally funded program which enables the state to assist low-income households with drinking water and wastewater emergencies. LIHWAP was established by emergency supplemental appropriations from the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 in response to the financial challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What does it cover?

An eligible household may receive LIHWAP funds for drinking water or wastewater emergencies such as instances where a household has a termination notice, if the service is already terminated, or if arrearages are owed.

Who is eligible?

Pennsylvanians can apply if they have a drinking water or wastewater bill in their name and either one or both accounts has arrears.

What are the income/resource limits?

The income limit for LIHWAP is 150 percent of the poverty level when determining eligibility. Your resources (like bank accounts and cars) will not be considered when you apply for LIHWAP.

What information is needed to apply?

  • Social Security numbers for all household members.
  • Income information for all household members over the age of 18.
  • Drinking water and/or wastewater account information.

What documents are needed?

Please be prepared to provide documents that prove your information. This can be things like:

  • Personal identification such as a driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, etc.

  • Proof of income for all household members over the age of 18.

  • Paystubs for all earned income for the month prior of application.

  • Documentation of unearned income such as unemployment benefits, social security benefits, retirement benefits, child/spousal support, etc.

  • Document(s) showing drinking water and/or wastewater arrears due.

When does the program begin?

The LIHWAP program will open on January 4, 2022.

How do I apply?

Applications can be submitted online at If you are unable to apply online, you can download and print an application OR go to your local County Assistance Office and pickup a paper application.

When does the program end?

The LIHWAP program will close on September 30, 2023 or when the program expends all the funds.

How do I provide verifications?

Verifications may be provided by mail, fax, email, or in person to your local County Assistance Office.

How is the LIHWAP payment issued?

LIHWAP assistance is paid directly to the vendor. If the vendor does not participate in LIHWAP, a payment can't be authorized.

How much of my drinking water/wastewater arrears can be covered?

The minimum amount that can be authorized is $25. The maximum amount is $2500 per water type.

Are households with private wells or septic systems eligible?

Households with private wells or septic systems are not eligible for LIHWAP. Households must have a drinking water or wastewater account in their name with a participating vendor in order to be eligible for LIHWAP.